Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Light Your Fire

PASSION

Just typing that word made me feel like I should start writing a script for a soap opera.

Let's start with a definition.
Passion [pash-uh n]
noun
1. any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling, as love or hate.


Okay, so obviously we aren't talking about the soap opera kind of passion here.
Passion is #4 on my "personal values" list, so I guess that makes it pretty important to me.
I am definitely a fan of "doing what you love."
I am also a fan of "if you no longer love what you do....then stop doing it."


I would rather be happy than rich.
~
So, how do you find your passion?  
For some of us...it is just obvious.  It has always been obvious.  It is all we have ever wanted to do.
For others, well, it isn't so black and white.
For me, I definitely have things I am VERY passionate about, but I will admit, I have gone through so many stages of what I thought I wanted to do, or be.


I want everything to be crystal clear.  And I also want someone to point out exactly what I should do, and why.  I would like someone to draw up a spreadsheet of the next 20 years of my life for me, and I could just follow that, and not have to make a single decision myself.

Luckily, I have gotten to know myself well enough, that I decided to take the larger scale ideas (the ones that included a few years of school and several thousand dollars) and pushed those aside.  Let's just be realistic here.  I have no desire to go back to school.  I have no desire to even get out of bed in the morning.  Washing my hair and making dinner are huge accomplishments for me each day.  Let's not push our luck, shall we?
With these things in mind, I realized that I should probably stick with the things I was passionate about that would not involve a monetary investment, or a whole lot of effort on my part.

So, I am sticking with music...and have added writing to my list.
The latter was a pleasant surprise, because I had NO idea I would get so hooked on it.  The next thing I need to do is figure out how to make $ doing it...because quite frankly, I could happily sit here all day long and work as a writer.  I think swapping the writing for work and the music for a hobby would be kind of fun.  Who knows.  I might not think so if it ever happened.

It is nice, though, that I have been able to make a living doing what I love.  I wish everyone was able to say that.  I think there would be a lot less anger and stress in the world if that were the case.  And if we could bring our pets to work.  And if healthcare were free.  We should probably move to Denmark.

One of the books I have been reading (the one that I got the "Personal Values" list from) is called 52 Ways To Live A Kick-Ass Life by Andrea Owen
(See, I SHOULD get paid for writing...I totally plug books all the time!)
Anyway, Chapter 26 is on Living Your Passions
She talks about how we all have that one thing rolling around in our head that we have always wanted to do....but we have always come up with an excuse not to, because to try will mean we have to step out of our comfort zone.
SO TRUE!
She then lists 6 reasons why you SHOULD do it (and explanations....I will just list the reasons.)
1.  You gain self-confidence and courage.
2. You meet lots of different people.
3. You'll have fewer regrets on your deathbed.
4. You'll inspire others.
5. You'll have a positive thing to focus on.
6. You'll just generally feel good.

I think #3 is a pretty good motivator.  I really do worry about lying there, near death and thinking "Dammit!!  I was such a chicken shit my whole life.  Why didn't I do what I REALLY wanted to do??!!"

If I end up in that position, thinking those thoughts, I will be really, REALLY sad.
I am not a huge adventurous, risk-taking kind of gal....at least not the physical "I'm going to jump off a cliff, attached only with a string of dental floss, and see what happens" kind of risk taker.  But, I really don't want to be the person who resides safely in a tidy little nook her whole life, playing it safe, and never chasing a single dream.  (I know that won't be the case...because some have already been chased) but, you know what I mean.


So here we go....the questions for YOU.
What has been nagging you?  That little something inside your head that you have been thinking about for a long time, but you keep pushing away, because it might take you out of your comfort zone?


When you take a good, hard look at your life, do you feel like you are following your passion, or ignoring it?

If you were at death's door, and looked back at your life, is there anything you wish you would have done?  (It's not about fully accomplishing something...just giving it a try)

If you could add something to your life that would just bring you happiness, and make you feel good about yourself, what would that something be?


The wonderful thing that I have been embracing lately is the fact that it is NEVER TOO LATE to try something new, to chase your dreams, or to find your passion.  So, if you have been feeling a bit lost, or perhaps you feel a void, but aren't sure how to fill it....this might be the perfect time to really sit down and think about where your passion lies.  What is it that gets your adrenaline flowing when you think about it?  What is something that you could see yourself enjoying for a long time.  (Okay, as I'm writing this, I am imagining all of the very inappropriate things some of you probably have going through your heads....yes, I know that may be were your passion lies...but clean it up and work with me here!) 
I will tell you one thing....if any of you have a passion for working with the memory impaired....this area needs a Alzheimers Day Center BADLY....and I can guarantee that you would not only be providing the community with a huge service, you would be securing your retirement fund as well.  Just a little thought I'm throwing out for those still searching for a "business related-Beth-would-love-you-forever" passion." ;)

Okay.  Go eat some chocolate.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment