Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Looking Good!

Today's fabulousness comes from the awesome book entitled:
The Art of More for Less
by
Anna Johnson


So, my impression of Anna Johnson is that she is one of those cool women who lives in a funky downtown apartment in New York (she actually divides her time between New York and Sydney.) She buys her clothes at vintage second hand shops, her food at the farmer's market, and makes a living as a free-lance writer.  Even when she is living from measly paycheck to even measlier paycheck, she finds ways to look fabulous, decorate her apartment, and make a great dinner for her friends.
In other words....she is one of those women who I want to be!!
~
There are so many things in her book that I love, but I am going to share her wisdom on building the "Chic-Secrets of Simplicityonomy Wardrobe."
My closet is on my to-do list this week...and the fact that there are several items in there that are no longer fitting around my ever expanding waist line means I need to make some changes.
I am also feeling a HUGE need to purge.  I am SO sick of having clutter and just TOO MUCH STUFF.
~
I will give you bits and pieces of her advice...you may want to buy this book.
*******************

"Now when I shop I have watertight ground rules that stop impulse buys in their tracks.  Clothes need to be well made, have staying power through the seasons, and interlock with other existing mainstays in my wardrobe.
Because I may want to wear one piece of clothing for several years, I will choose slightly more conservative, classic styles (easy when buying vintage) and then put them hard to work.
Every top I own has to go with my favorite rip-off Balenciaga-stype black tuxedo pants, or an A-line skirt.  Each dress has to fit at least three occasions. and the jackets need to be day-to-night or trans-seasonal.  
One pair of shoes and one bag "matches" but the rest don't have to. 
The palette of my wardrobe is brown, cream, and electric blue for winter and fall.  Then white, black, honey beige, and bright yellow for summer.  The splashes of bright color can change season to season but the bedrock of my everyday clothes is monochrome".....
....choose a trio of neutrals that best suit your skin tone.
~
If you can only spend one hundred dollars and want to change your wardrobe, buy a dress or some brilliant pants (not jeans) or a vintage coat, then, as money trickles in, build the wardrobe up from one (or all three) of these items.
~
To gather funds for new clothes be prepared to sell all the major pieces you no longer use--for example, a wedding dress or a designer handbag--or hold a high-quality clothes swap meet at your house, asking your friends to bring their very best things in wearable condition.  If the quality is high, everyone will benefit and have building blocks for a new look without spending a cent.
~
On a quiet night, lay out the best things in your wardrobe and the things you wear constantly.  Then work out a way to build a bridge between the clothes you love (but never wear) and the standbys (pieces starting to wear thin with overuse.) If your wardrobe is heavy on casual wear but running dangerously low for work and evening, invest in pieces that can be used for both--for example, the LBD, little black dress.  Very simple additions stretch the clothes you have.
I revolutionized my winter wardrobe with a beige cashmere turtleneck and a pair of black knee-high boots, which I wore almost every day through late fall
and winter.
As if by magic, my strange Indian skirt, a kilt, a leather mini, and an electric blue overcoat all looked right because I had the neutral canvas on which to paint.
~
A recession-proof wardrobe needs to include two fail-proof job-interview outfits, one scary situation outfit (bank loan application, mother-in-law, first date), two evening dresses, and five complete work outfits. (I don't include downtime clothes because most of us have mainly casual clothing.) It only sounds like a lot of clothes when in fact it could be as straightforward as:
*One suit (according to your form) a jacket and pants or pencil skirt
*One cashmere pullover in a contrasting bright color
*One silk dress shirt
*One cotton work shirt
Two skirts: A-line and knit skirt
*One wrap dress
*One little black dress
*One pair of boots
*One pair of heels
*One pair of ballet flats
*One pair of dressy jeans
*One very good quality long-sleeved T-shirt
~
Excerpts taken from Savvy Chic by Anna Johnson


1 comment:

  1. Great advice thank you Beth. I am going to read that book.

    ReplyDelete