Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Don't Tempt Me

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Temptation.
It sounds like the title of an episode of "Revenge."  (I love that show)

I am resisting temptation right now.  Like SERIOUS temptation.  Ever since Lexie got her drivers license last month, I have been using her as my personal "errand girl."  (She hasn't figured out that this isn't supposed to be fun yet.)  ;)
Sometimes, I throw in a little incentive, such as "there are oreos in it for you!"  That always works.  Of course, the definition of "oreos" is not the same for both of us.  For me, that means "yes, you can buy a pack of oreos."  For her, that means "yes, I can buy three packs of oreos, because I need one all for myself, because, well, I just do.  I need to get one for my brother, because he hoards food, and he would take the one pack, and hide it somewhere so no one else could have any.  And then, I suppose, since they are paying for it, I should get a third for my parents."
Oreos, however, do not tempt me.
I made a mistake and told Lexie that she could "go ahead and pick up a 12 pack of soda" while she was on her Target run the other day.  She chose Pepsi.
Now, it is sitting in the garage refrigerator.....just whispering my name.  "Beeeettthhhh.....do you feel that mid-afternoon slump?  I know you are thirsty, and that water you are drinking just isn't hitting the spot, is it?  Just imagine the sound of the can when you crack it open....and all of that bubbly goodness.  Mmmmmmmm.

I usually don't drink soda.  When my sisters and I get together, our "big treat" is a pepsi.  I don't know what the lure is...but it is our forbidden fruit.  All those calories, all of that sugar...we try to avoid it like the plague, but sometimes, temptation wins.  

It's funny, the things that make us temporarily lose all control.  We all have our vices.  I guess I should be happy that mine is pepsi, and not cocaine.  What I wish I could understand is why all of the "temptations" that we encounter are typically considered bad.  Why am I never tempted to scrub my floor?  Or run three miles?  I suppose I might be tempted to do it, but not to the point that I am practically chaining myself to the deck railing to resist it.  Heck, not even to the point of actually doing it!
I would be lying if I said pepsi is my only vice.  I might as well just come clean.  There are a few.
Some are really more weaknesses.  I am going to just lay it all out here.
Beth's Vices: 
Baked goods.  Almost all of them...I do not discriminate.
Shoes.
Pretty things.
Shopping for those pretty things.
Shopping for shoes.
Pasta. (specifically with marinara sauce)
Bread (fresh, soft on the inside, crusty on the outside, and still warm.)
Office supplies...but they have to be pretty.  I can't resist.
Finnottes Caramel Apples...with nuts.
CBS on Thursday night.
Jamie Fraser.  (If you read/watch Outlander...you will understand)


^^^^need I say more??!!^^^^

Now, I do believe my life would be better...or at least more productive if I were able to rewire my brain to switch up the things that tempted me.  For SURE I would have a "bicycle tire", as opposed to the "monster truck tire", that currently resides around my waist.
So, once I figure out how to re-program my brain, the following with become my new vices:

Exercise.  Not obsessive, just nice and healthy.
Vegetables.  Sans the dip.
Cleaning and organizing.  (Bring on the OCD!)
Water.  
Jamie Fraser.  :)


Let's hope I can figure out this re-wiring in the next 24 hours, because October is almost here...which means this "31 Day" thing I signed up for is going to start.  The procrastinator in me is thinking "you still have a day to change your theme!  You can write about anything you want!  You could do 31 Different Ways to Take a Nap!  Or 31 Days, 31 New Pairs of Shoes!" (Wait...trying to stop doing that.)
Well, maybe I will try to spend less time thinking up excuses, and a little more time staring at that picture of Jamie Fraser....I mean, getting prepared for October 1st.
But right now, I am going to go have a conversation with that can of pepsi.  I'm not sure who is going to prevail...but at least I only have one more day of "weakness" allowed.  Maybe I just need to finish that damn 12-pack up so I don't have anything left to tempt me.  Because, really, eliminating the temptation is the best way to conquer it!  (Crap, I just sent my husband to the store to get me some more carameled apples.  I better eat those up by Wednesday too.) 

Have a terrific Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment