Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Just Dreamin.....

My husband grew up in a small town an hour north of the twin cities.
Both of his parents were teachers, and back in those days, teachers actually got to take a nice chunk of the summer off. 
They took a lot of family road trips to different locations around the country, and  always made the trek up north to grandma and grandpa's cabin on Lake Vermillion.
This was prime lake property.  Lake Vermillion is one of the original Boundary Waters lakes, and is located about an hour south of the Canadian Border.
They had a cute little cabin, a boat house, and (like all true Minnesotans) a sauna right next to the lake.
(This is the current sauna)

The original owner lived in the tiny little sauna while building the cabin.

This is the current view from the cabin.


Once Mark's grandparents were too old to take care of the lake property anymore, his parents decided to sell their home in town, build a year round cabin, and move to the lake full time.
I thought they were crazy.
~
(The new "cabin")
Obviously it is beautiful there...but it truly is in the middle of NOWHERE.
It's about a 25-30 minute drive into town (and 'town' is a tiny little town)
It's an hour to the nearest hospital....and TARGET!
And this is WAY northern Minnesota.  
Nine months of winter, three months of "summer."
~
I always told Mark that we had to be within 10 minutes of Target...or forget it.

Funny how things change.
I'm not saying I want to live way out in the Boonies....but I am saying that I would definitely consider it.
 Especially in the winter.
As I am watching the snow fall...I long for a cozy cottage, and would be blissful to be all snowed in, with no where to go until spring.

Belgium looks rather dreamy, wouldn't you say?

I have always been madly in love with the cottage from the movie "The Holiday."
Especially if Jude Law came with it. ;)

This is darling and sweet.

I would have NO problem spending my days here.

But, I think this is what I would consider PERFECT.
Cozy....ideal for both winter and summer.
If I had one wish, it would be to live here, and be able to make a living writing...and only have to go out if I wanted to.

I need a little reading area too, of course.

And guess what?  I really don't care how far I have to drive to get to Target.
Heck...I live 2 minutes from Target right now, and I just placed an online order for a little table thingy from Target.com this morning.
~
I am pretty sure I would be just fine with getting that whole "gardening" thing down, and stocking up for the winter.  Isn't that why God invented freezers?
So people wouldn't have to run out to the grocery store every few days?
~
All that is needed now is to figure out how I can become sustainably wealthy while working from home, find the perfect little plot of land, and build my little dream cottage.
Pinterest makes it all look so simple.
~
I guess I will just keep purging and simplifying, so once I get my plan figured out, I won't have to deal with all this "stuff."
That would be pretty dreamy, wouldn't it?
To downsize to a smaller place, but not have to try to figure out what to do with all of the junk you have in your current, oversized house?
This is kind of becoming my new obsession.
Nothing feels better than walking into a room that is totally organized and clutter free.
I. LOVE. IT.
Too bad it's such a slow, difficult process.
Good thing it's so worth it.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment